It’s that time of the year when you start dreaming of those fun summer days, taking trips with your friends to the beach, organising that much deserved summer holiday and planning your summer body.
And who doesn’t want to look and feel great during summer? You get to wear the clothes you love and soak up the sun each day, and most of all you want to feel great in your own body. I want to dive into the 3 important keys for getting beach ready & having that well deserved summer body ready this summer!
Set Your Goal, Time Frame & Make It Real
The first step is to set a realistic time frame for your goal. Having a goal to lose 10+kg in 6 weeks isn’t a realistic goal. Give yourself enough time to drop that unwanted body fat, and tone up at the same time with a consistent resistance based training routine. The fitness models and amazing summer body’s you see each summer don’t just happen by accident. These women make sure they are acting on their goals each day and making progress within a realistic time frame. I would recommend the following:
- Write down the exact date you want your summer body
- Workout how much weight you need to lose (300-500g per week is a safe amount)
- Record your body weight, thigh, waist, hips measures each week
- If you want to be extra accurate, have your body fat % tested monthly, via a DEXA scan
- Record your daily calorie intake
- Record your overall feeling throughout the month, certain phases of the menstrual cycle can actually help you reach your goals faster
Increase Protein, Water, Fiber & Complex Carbs
Start by eliminating refined carbs, sugar and keep alcohol to a minimum, while increasing your fiber from plant based sources. Trust me your body will thank you later.. and you will have loads more energy for your training.
- Protein has the highest thermic effect of all the macronutrients, meaning your body will use more energy for processing & digesting protein. Start by increasing your protein from lean sources with 1.4-2.0 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight (per day), a WPI supplement can be taken immediately after resistance based training sessions
- Increase your water intake up to around 2-3L per day, increasing water will actually help you feel full for longer.
- Increase your fiber intake from plant based sources with 15-18g of fiber per 1000/cals/day.
- Increase your carb sources from complete carbs with all your main meals each day. Some great choices are: Sweet potato, Brown rice, Quinoa, Oatmeal, Lentils, Squash.
Focus on Resistance Training & HIIT
The very best way to keep your metabolism high and burning through calories is from resistance based training and HIIT interval sessions. Resistance phased training with strength & hypertrophy will help develop a toned & strong physique. If you focus only on cutting your calories with long endurance type cardio – you will lose weight, but you may lose lean body mass (muscle) also.
I recommend the following weekly training split for resistance and incorporating HIIT sessions each week:
- Monday (Lower Body – Posterior Focus) – Barbell Squats, Barbell Deadlifts, Stiff-legged Deadlifts, Lying Leg Curls
- Tuesday (Chest / Back) – Bench Press, Incline Dumbbell Press, Barbell Bent Over Rows, Wide Grip Lat Pulldown, Assisted Chin-up Machine
- Wednesday (Ab / Core Circuit) – Lying Leg Raises, Russian Twist, Swiss Ball Crunches, Cocoons, Planks
- Thursday (Shoulders / Arms) – Barbell Military Press, Lateral Raise, Rear Delt Cable Flys, Barbell Bicep Curls, Bench Dips
- Friday (Lower Body – Anterior) – Barbell Front Squats, Hack Squats, Leg Press Machine (low feet position), Static Lunges (smith-machine)
- Saturday (HIIT) – Hill Sprints (15 minutes)
Putting Everything Together
Follow these 3 important steps and you will be well on your way towards achieving that well earned summer body. Remember to plan out a realistic time-frame for your goal. Giving yourself too little time will put so much pressure on yourself, and the journey will be so much less enjoyable.
Follow a high protein, high fiber and moderate complex carbohydrates meal plan. Minimise alcohol, sugar and refined carbohydrates as much as possible. Try and increase your fiber intake slowly to avoid any digestive stress.
Make sure you’re focusing your training on metabolic resistance based exercises as well as HIIT interval training. My recommended plan above should stimulate enough volume to force strength & hypertrophy, while putting you on the path towards a toned summer body!
I’m wishing you a strong start towards smashing your goals! If you need a plan to fast track your results – be sure to check out the 28 Day Mind & Body Challenge.