We know the amazing benefits meditation has on our mental health & well-being. But, should we also use meditation for weight loss?
Research on meditation over the years has shown promising results with:
- Reducing anxiety and depression
- Promoting emotional health
- Relieving stress
- Reducing blood pressure
- Aiding digestion
Having a strong dieting mindset & an effective training plan always helps. However, adding meditation for weight loss goals will drive results even faster.
According to the Wiley Online Library, studies suggested general diets & training programs work well in the short-term.
But, adding mindfulness related techniques helped keep the weight off in the long-term.
So, how can you start using meditation to lose weight? Let’s dive into some key areas.
1. Start Practicing Daily Guided Meditation
Start by adding a 15-minute guided meditation to your morning routine before you leave the house.
Regular guided meditations will help with clearing the mind & thoughts.
In turn, your mind will have a lot more clarity throughout the day. Especially with making better choices around eating.
Here are the key steps to follow with a guided meditation for weight loss:
- Find a quiet place in your home, away from distractions.
- Either sit up or lay down (whichever is more comfortable).
- Take a deep breath in. Hold for 5 seconds.
- Slowly exhale.
- Observe your breathing & the guiding meditation voice.
- If you feel your mind wandering, come back to the present moment.
- Don’t worry if thoughts come and go. It’s completely normal. Just bring your attention back to the present moment.
- Once you’re finished, monitor your emotions & thought patterns. See if it’s easier to control than before.
If you’re not sure where to find guided meditations to follow, have a look at this program.
There are also many free guided meditations which can be found on YouTube.
2. Be Extra Mindful When Eating
Sitting down and enjoying a delicious healthy meal isn’t easy when life gets busy. This is why adding a mindful practice around eating has a positive impact on weight loss.
A recent Sage Journal Research Article found that obesity was reduced when following a wellness program which included a mindful eating strategy.
Mindful eating is similar to meditation. However based around the time when you experience eating food.
The practice allows you to become more aware of the senses & feelings around eating. And, becoming more aware of physical vs emotional hunger cues.
As outlined by Harvard Health Publications, here are the key steps to follow with mindful eating:
- Start by ensuring you have the right shopping list & the right diet plan.
- Try to eat your meals when you are hungry, but not eager to eat.
- It’s better to eat smaller meals, rather than larger spaced out meals. This will make you less emotionally hungry.
- Slow down your eating & chew more slowly. Starting to really feel the sensations. As with meditation, focus on the present moment.
- If you feel your mind wandering towards the past or future, bring your attention back to the meal.
- If you’re with a group of friends & family, really enjoy the present moment with them.
3. Remove Negative Subconscious Beliefs
As mentioned above, guided meditation and mindful eating are great practices for weight loss.
However, if you still have a negative belief system trapped in your subconscious mind, the process will be difficult.
This is where subliminal messaging becomes effective towards weight loss.
Combined with binaural frequencies, Subliminals work by adding audio affirmations, just below normal levels of hearing.
The subliminal messages can then help remove negative patterns & behaviors around eating.
There are limited studies with subliminal messaging. But, myself and many of my clients have had fantastic results. Especially for long-term weight loss.
You can find subliminal messaging for weight loss tracks in the following program.
The methods outlined below can be used with subliminal messaging:
- Use binaural frequencies with subliminal messages embedded during meditation. Keep these meditations separate to your morning guided meditations.
- Play the tracks while you’re reading or at work with headphones. This will provide a calming atmosphere.
- Use the binaural subliminal tracks while you’re sleeping. During sleep the positive affirmations will bypass the conscious mind and go straight to the subconscious.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this article. As the research suggests, meditation for weight loss really does work.
In conclusion, remember to apply these key areas daily for maximum results.
Leave a comment below and let us know how meditation has helped you on your weight loss journey!